Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Cross

We have spent the first part of the summer with a black stage. A couple of weeks ago I added a 20' X 10' cross made out of light bulbs. The original concept was to use standard 100 watt bulbs. After thinking about it, I decided to go with a 12"X 1" showcase bulb (I only paid $3.25 per bulb from a local supplier). The showcase bulbs added a very sculptural effect to the cross. The sockets, purchased from Ikea, come with a 15' long cord on them. I laid a 10' section of Unistrut on the stage floor, measured out the cross and attached the cords with black zip ties.





2 comments:

Louis Tagliaboschi said...

Jason,

How did you wire them? Did you take off the connector and wire them together, or did you run them all to a central location in the cross? I love the look.

Louis

jasonwidney said...

they are randomly dived into 4 circuits. plugged into power strips and then into our dimming system.