Thursday, February 12, 2009

Maps

Our lead pastor, Jackson Crum, uses a lot of historical references during his teaching. He often shows you temples, ruins, statues, and maps. As you can imagine the quality of most biblical maps leaves a lot to be desired.

I was watching CNN one day and saw them use Google maps. I was hooked, what a relevant way to show people what happened. The first map that I did I was amazed at the terrain. When I imagine Paul on his journeys I did not thinks about how rough the terrain was that he had to overcome. It brought it home to me in a whole new way. This file is Paul's 4th Journey. 

I purchased the Google Earth application so that it gives me the ability to export to what ever codec that I need. I export to HD720 and it plays flawlessly. The program is somewhat challenging because it really is not a "production" type of package so you have limited control over time and speed. I will often bring the file into Final Cut Pro and speed it up, or pause it at a location for an extended amount of time.

The reaction from our people has been overwhelming they really love it. During our Three Screen setup I created one that spanned the screens, you almost needed Dramamine because of the motion sickness effect it had. For that one I exported the clip at 1080p so I had the most pixels to work with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amazing! you're amazing- what your brain thinks of! I'm yor biggest fan. Please tell Widneywoman Hello and I like you hat!
anon#2